Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Desire to Serve




After hurricane IKE and most importantly after we received electricity, I had a strong desire to lend some help in whatever way I could. I started doing some research and found a wonderful website called Volunteer Houston.
It lists various places to volunteer around the Houston area.

On Friday I began making plans to attend the following week and when Sunday came along recruited three young women to join me. They actually wanted to come and clean my house, but I felt it would be more meaningful if we put our shoulder to the wheel in the community. Plus, they can clean my house later :)



We volunteered at the End Hunger Network prepping food for about 5,000 families. Yes, that's right 5,000 families per day is who this organization prepares food for. It was fun to meet new people and most importantly it was truly rewarding to be a part of something so meaningful.


Beatrice, Nicole & Natasha






Beatrice singing & you can't see it but she was getting jiggy with it.


Nicole & Natasha taking a break.

1 comment:

Elder and Sister Dunn said...

Awesome. That is really neat that you and the young women were able to volunteer at End Hunger. I am sure it made a more lasting impression on the girls than cleaning you house:)